Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
- January 19th, 2009, 10:31 AM #1
- Member Since
- Jan 2009
- 0 times
Will MCPS help me get a residency
i know USMLE scores are important, as are research and electives, but i'm afraid i cannot go to the US for research, and have already graduated so cannot do electives.
will doing MCPS increase my chances of getting a residency in the field of my choice, ie ophthalomology? and if ophth is too competitive, will an MCPS in family medicine help me get into family medicine?
also, which are the easiest fields to get into for residecy for IMGs?
thanks a million.#confusedJanuary 19th, 2009, 11:17 AM #2
I'm really interested in ophtho too.
USMLE scores and research are by far the most important things you can do for ophtho, because it is extremely competitive. I really don't think the MCPS will help, however, if there were two exact candidates from pakistan applying to ophtho with the same USMLE scores, no research publications, and no electives, then if one had done an MCPS he would be more competitive than the other candidate, but that's all. It won't bolster your application any more than that.
The best thing for you to do would be to either do some research in ophtho in the US, and if you can't, then do it in the UK, or any other country, including even in Pakistan. If money is an issue, then look for research labs in the US that pay their full-time researchers, though the salary will be meager at best.
Family medicine, Internal medicine, and pediatrics are among the easier residency programs to get into for an IMG.January 29th, 2009, 09:38 PM #3
- Member Since
- Dec 2007
- 7 times
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
- By aac3000 in forum Beyond Med SchoolReplies: 0Last Post: February 8th, 2010, 12:37 AM
- By ankushkj in forum Beyond Med SchoolReplies: 0Last Post: July 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
- By ayman mandour in forum Beyond Med SchoolReplies: 1Last Post: February 20th, 2009, 02:37 PM
- By Dr Ganesh in forum Caribbean Medical SchoolsReplies: 0Last Post: December 5th, 2008, 03:34 PM
- By Natacha in forum Beyond Med SchoolReplies: 11Last Post: May 10th, 2006, 07:26 AM