Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
- December 30th, 2006, 06:04 PM #1
- Member Since
- Jan 2006
- 12 times
Charles University 1st Faculty Prague
Here's some information about Charles University, 1st Faculty in Prague.
Thank you for your interest in the studies at our Medical School.
Charles University in Prague was founded in 1348 by the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, and the Bohemian King Charles the Fourth. Originally, Latin was used as the official language, later accompanied by Czech, German and English. Therefore admitting international students has always been the Faculty?s policy. It is our privilege to offer you the chance to join us.Prof. Otomar Kittnar, English Studies Vice-dean
Here you can find some essential info about medical studies at our University and how to apply:Study programs offered in English
- General Medicine
6 years? curriculum finished with the degree MUDr. - "Medicinae Universae Doctor" (M.D.) = Doctor of General Medicine
5 years? program finished with the degree MDDr. - "Medicinae Dentalis Doctor" = Doctor of Dental Medicine
How to be admitted
- The degrees are fully recognized in the EU and most countries at least for a limited registration. The student should ask the authorities or professional bodies in the respective country for information about the conditions for a full registration and recognition of the degree required to practice medicine.
- The Faculty is listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools published by WHO (7th edition, 2000, page 105)
- Faculty is also listed in the Directory of Postsecondary Institutions published by the US Department of Education
- The First Faculty of Medicine has qualified to participate in programmes under Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA) and the Federal Student Financial Assistance Programs (Title IV, HEA programs) in the USA. Charles University in Prague - First Faculty of Medicine participates in the Federal Family Education Loan Stafford Program (OPE ID Number G33004).
Students are selected on the basis of an entrance examination. It is necessary to:
How and When to Apply
- successfully pass the entrance exam
- provide a certified copy of the high school diploma (or equivalent)
Each student can apply once per academic year to each study programme. Students can apply even prior to obtaining the high school diploma, so it is sufficient to sendThe deadline for sending regular applications to our is May 15, 2007.
We will respond to your application electronically within 3 business days. Also the Invitation Letter for the Entrance Exam will be sent by post in May. In case the Invitation Letter was needed earlier, please let us know.
NOTE: For Enrolment, it is necessary to provide further documents ? see for more. If documents are available, it is recommended to send them with the application.
Students are accepted on the basis of written and oral entrance examinations taken in English from the following subjects: college standard chemistry, physics and biology. are available. The examination is supervised by Faculty's examiners. The maximum number of enrolled students in the academic year 2007/08 will be 110 for GM and 20 for Dentistry.
The exam can be taken:
- In Prague
- regular term June 19, 2007
- late term September 6, 2007
NOTE: For the Late Term, due to a very short period between the Exam and Enrolment, there are limited chances to arrange all necessary administration in time (typically Visa and accommodation in Halls). These reasons are not legitimate for postponing the beginning of study obligation.
- fee 40 EUR
- visa in case that visa is required, a short-term (tourist) visa is sufficient for the entrance exam
- Invitation letter and e-mail will be sent to every applicant who meets all the criteria.
- At places specified by our official representatives.
- U.K., Ireland and Nigeria - The Abbey Colleges, 253 Wells Road, Malvern Wells, Worcestershire, WR 144JF, U.K.
- June 10
- September 2
- Students from many countries do not need a Visa to enter or study at our University.
- In case that a Visa is required, please apply to the Czech embassy or Consulate well in advance, i.e. 3 months prior to the planned departure.
- entrance exam - a short term visa is sufficient
- enrolment - a long term Visa is required
Tuition and Costs
Annual net tuition fee is:
Additional expenses (not included in tuition):Enrolment
- 11.000 EUR for General Medicine
- 12.500 EUR for Dentistry
Enrolment takes place in Prague in September before the semester begins and it requires:
All the forms should be addressed to .
- Admission valid for the respective academic year
- A Signed Contract with the Dean of our Faculty.
- A certified copy of your diploma
- A certified English translation of the diploma
- A Long-term Visa, if applicable
NOTE: The signatures and seals on the original of your diploma must be verified by:
- either the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the respective school is located where you have passed
- or the Notary Public plus the Embassy or a representative office of the Czech Republic in the respective country, if not stated by an international agreement otherwise.
Living in Prague
There is no doubt that you will find Prague very attractive, easy to live in and still affordable. You might be interested in:
- Czech Language
As for living, English will work for you perfectly, but in order to be able to communicate with the patients on the wards during the clinical rotations some basic skills in Czech will be necessary. During the first three years of medical studies the student will attend lessons and tutorials in Medical Czech. But there are plenty opportunities to practice Czech in the city.
Students can stay either in the Halls or it is currently very popular to rent a flat. It is quite common to get an apartment in the centre, few minutes away from the campus at around 200 EUR per month if you share.
can significantly vary depending on spending habits. Sample costs are introduced here.
- accommodation 150 - 250 EUR/monthshared double-bedded apartment or shared room in hallsmeals 1 - 2 EUR per mealin students? canteens
9 EUR/ month
reduced-price students pass
average taxi ride in the city
The Academic year is divided into two semesters, each followed by exam period.
- The winter semester starts at the end of September and lasts 15 weeks. It is interrupted by 2-week Christmas vacation and followed by a 4-week examination period.
- The summer semester lasts 15 weeks and is followed by an examination period and summer vacation.
- Starting from the 2nd year summer clerkships in clinical departments are included in the curriculum.
Students Affairs Office
Please feel free to contact us any time for further details regarding studies, accommodation, insurance, expenses, contacts to students? anything.
- phone +420 224 964 378
- fax +420 224 964 317
- mailing address:Charles University in Prague - First Faculty of Medicine
Foreign Students? Affairs Department
CZ-121 08 Prague 2
Around the globe there are several official representatives of our Medical Faculty.
December 30th, 2006, 06:05 PM #2
- Portugal and Greece: CMS (Czech Medical Studies( Agency, Nikis 23, Syntagma sq., 105 57, Athens
- Member Since
- Jan 2006
- 12 times
By the way, when applying to these European universities it's best if you want to save money to apply directly to the university, rather than using a agent.March 20th, 2010, 10:18 PM #3
- Member Since
- Mar 2010
- alexandria, Egypt
- 0 times
heyy majid ....thanks for this post , it has been most helpful.....but there is a question that i can't seem to find an answer for...... i'm a medical student in 4th year in egypt...is it possible that i transfer to charles uni. ??? that i wont repeat subjects that i've already finished here in egypt??
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
- By soulcrew in forum Dental DiscussionsReplies: 5Last Post: May 22nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
- By pkriz840 in forum European Medical SchoolsReplies: 1Last Post: May 29th, 2010, 10:12 PM
- By firzen246 in forum European Medical SchoolsReplies: 0Last Post: January 17th, 2010, 01:26 AM
- By manutdfan2850 in forum European Medical SchoolsReplies: 18Last Post: April 23rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
- By Majid in forum European Medical SchoolsReplies: 0Last Post: December 30th, 2006, 06:16 PM