Which Medical Colleges Best Prepare Students For USMLE
Our Sponsors
Welcome to Med Studentz Medical Forums, a friendly and informative student community where you can join thousands of other medical students from all over the world discussing everything related to medical school admissions, studying for medical licensing exams, and the medical profession in general.

As a registered member you will be able to:

  • Post and participate in discussions throughout the board.
  • Communicate with other medical students around the world.
  • Find the latest valuable information regarding how to obtain research and clinical electives, internships and residencies.
  • Access special Members Only features not available to unregistered users.
All this and much more is available to you
absolutely free when you register for an account.
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Which Medical Colleges Best Prepare Students For USMLE

  1. #1
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1
    Liked
    0 times

    Which Medical Colleges Best Prepare Students For USMLE

    Hello I am a PharmD student in the USA who is interested in completing his MBBS in Pakistan post graduation. I know my PharmD will be an excellent advantage for me as Medical student in Pakistan. However, due to the lack of perceived value of a PharmD in Pakistan I doubt this will help me much in admissions. My question is, will Medical Colleges value this advanced degree when comparing me to foreign applicants who only have a high school diploma? Also, what Medical Colleges best prepare foreign grads for the USMLE? I could potentially stay in Pakistan post graduation but would like to keep my options open. Also worth mentioning I have family in the Islamabad/Rawalpindi area and would prefer to live in that area.

    Thanks
  2. #2
    Med Studentz Beginner
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Posts
    40
    Liked
    0 times
    yeah then most suitable for you will be shifa medical college, Islamabad and the best for usmle is Aga Khan medical college though it is in Karachi.
  3. #3
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    0 times
    Aoa i have expected to get above 83% aggregate...in which medical college i should apply..especially lahore..
  4. Remove Advertisements
    MedStudentz.com
    Advertisements

  5. #4
    Med Studentz Regular
    Member Since
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Karak/Peshawar/california
    Posts
    157
    Liked
    31 times
    no MC in Pak will prepare you for USMLE. if a MC advertises "USMLE" they are BSing
    Osman123 likes this.
  6. #5
    Super Moderator
    Member Since
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    132
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kobefan234 View Post
    no MC in Pak will prepare you for USMLE. if a MC advertises "USMLE" they are BSing
    How can you make such an assumption? Do you have any thing to back up this statement?
    Aga Khan and Shifa are both known to have their syllabus oriented around the USMLE, thus their students do pretty well in them
    By no means does that mean that you are guaranteed to do well in them, you obviously have to work hard
    But your statement that ''No Medical college in Pakistan will prepare you for the USMLE'' is completely wrong.

    Please, in the future, Don't make these types of statements unless you have something to back it up. I also saw your post on the Khyber medical university. Once again how can you make such an assumption? Do you study in any of these medical colleges?
    This is my FIRST warning to you to stop making these type of statements. Not only are you misguiding people, but furthermore you are also attacking and badmouthing some big organisations such as HEC which definitely aren't ''corrupt''

    Thanks!
  7. #6
    Med Studentz Regular
    Member Since
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Karak/Peshawar/california
    Posts
    157
    Liked
    31 times
    ^

    just giving my personal opinion . I am a Mbbs student in Kmc since 2015 and have experience with KMU, KMC, IBCC, HEC, EAD etc..

    feel free to delete my post if you want. ( also regarding the HEC "corrupt" comment) , if you want I will PM you the "evidence" I have.
  8. #7
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    0 times
    Plz tell me ..which medical college is better ..shifa..CMH...FMDC
  9. #8
    Super Moderator
    Member Since
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    132
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kobefan234 View Post
    ^

    just giving my personal opinion . I am a Mbbs student in Kmc since 2015 and have experience with KMU, KMC, IBCC, HEC, EAD etc..

    feel free to delete my post if you want. ( also regarding the HEC "corrupt" comment) , if you want I will PM you the "evidence" I have.
    I respect your personal opinion and I guess I understand where you are coming from regarding Khyber medical University, but to say that prestigious medical colleges such as Aga khan and Shifa are''Bsing'' about preparing you for the USMLE is a bit unfair isn't it? I mean these medical colleges are known in Pakistan and around the world to have their teaching methods based on USMLE

    Also like I said I respect your personal opinion, but that doesn't necessarily mean that its true? You could have had a bad experience, you know? I just want to make sure that people don't get misguided or anything

    Hope you understand!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ayesha anjum View Post
    Plz tell me ..which medical college is better ..shifa..CMH...FMDC
    It depends where are you are living. If in Islamabad then Shifa. In my opinion Shifa is 2nd only to Aga khan. I myself am gonna apply to Shifa this year

    But if you are living in Lahore, then CMH is regarded as an amazing medical college! I'm not too sure about FMDC, so you'll have to ask someone else
  10. #9
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    0 times
    Is year k admsn ho gai ha..??shifa main.?merit kya h..??
  11. #10
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    0 times
    Last year....k merit
  12. #11
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    24
    Liked
    2 times
    yeah I've heard the same from the people who I know in medical colleges in Pakistan as there is no structured training especially for the equivlency exams but if a university has the normal syllabus and good teachers combined with a hardworking student generally means that they shouldn't have too much difficulty in passing the exams
  13. #12
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    0 times
    When mbbs admission will start in pakistan
  14. #13
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    22
    Liked
    0 times
    I've heard from a Ziauddin University student on this forum that ZU also prepares you for USMLE..
  15. #14
    Med Studentz Regular cefspan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    131
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarisKhan123 View Post
    How can you make such an assumption? Do you have any thing to back up this statement?
    Aga Khan and Shifa are both known to have their syllabus oriented around the USMLE, thus their students do pretty well in them
    By no means does that mean that you are guaranteed to do well in them, you obviously have to work hard
    But your statement that ''No Medical college in Pakistan will prepare you for the USMLE'' is completely wrong.

    Please, in the future, Don't make these types of statements unless you have something to back it up. I also saw your post on the Khyber medical university. Once again how can you make such an assumption? Do you study in any of these medical colleges?
    This is my FIRST warning to you to stop making these type of statements. Not only are you misguiding people, but furthermore you are also attacking and badmouthing some big organisations such as HEC which definitely aren't ''corrupt''

    Thanks!
    I think the other guy is right. No medical college prepares you for USMLE in Pakistan. Except shifa or Aga Khan maybe. I have my friends in AIMC. They don't attend college and they don't care for atrendnace. Just sit all day and prepare for USMLE. That doesn't mean it's the college's policy. It's just students who study hard. Private colleges get so excited about atrendnace and all such things they end up double wasting your time.

    Sent from my H30-U10 using Tapatalk
  16. #15
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    24
    Liked
    2 times
    None of the colleges specifically train you for the USMLE or PLAB test. KobeFan is right. The only thing is some colleges have a lager almbni and student base of international students who will be doing the same tests after mbbs and can therefore provide peer support. HarisKhan please stop acting like you are the leader here and giving out warnings when the other person wasn't even saying anything wrong.

    Thanks! ✌️
    cefspan likes this.
  17. #16
    Super Moderator
    Member Since
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    132
    Liked
    8 times
    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Osman123 View Post
    None of the colleges specifically train you for the USMLE or PLAB test. KobeFan is right. The only thing is some colleges have a lager almbni and student base of international students who will be doing the same tests after mbbs and can therefore provide peer support. HarisKhan please stop acting like you are the leader here and giving out warnings when the other person wasn't even saying anything wrong.

    Thanks! ✌️
    I'm not trying to be a leader here, but saying that NO medical college in Pakistan prepares you for the USMLE/PLAB then you are obviously wrong. Why do soo many students from America. Europe , Middle east apply then? Why do so many students in Pakistan do well in those exams? Obviously hard work is key but you also need guidance. Ive never said that ALL medical colleges prepare you for the USMLE/PLAB. There are some but not all, notably AKU/SHIFA. These medical colleges have Modular system in place, and their faculty members have either graduated from outside of Pakistan or from very prestigious medical colleges in Pakistan, having 20+ years in experience. They try their best in having a system within the likes of medical college in Europe, America.What more can you ask?

    The other person was giving his personal opinion which I totally respect but he didn't have anything to back it up? Lets say that he was right, Why haven't these medical colleges been sued? or gotten a bad name? This website was made to help students, to guide them and I don't want anyone to be misguided or discouraged to apply to Pakistan which produces some of the best doctors in the world.

    oh and Osman123, please don't tell me what to do or not to do, I'm a moderator here its my job to make sure people aren't misguided by posts made earlier. If you are gonna be here, on a site made specifically for people in or applying to Pakistan, and say stuff like that well then mate you are on the wrong site
  18. #17
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    16
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cefspan View Post
    I think the other guy is right. No medical college prepares you for USMLE in Pakistan. Except shifa or Aga Khan maybe. I have my friends in AIMC. They don't attend college and they don't care for atrendnace. Just sit all day and prepare for USMLE. That doesn't mean it's the college's policy. It's just students who study hard. Private colleges get so excited about atrendnace and all such things they end up double wasting your time.

    Sent from my H30-U10 using Tapatalk
    Shifa does not train anyone for USMLE. Their system of teaching just gives the students an advantage in the USMLE. Also not as many from Shifa go the the US as believed on this site
    cefspan likes this.
  19. #18
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    24
    Liked
    2 times
    Dude if you're talking about proof then where is your proof that they prepare students for the tests?? many students go from these unis and get residencies but then again students from Chandka etc do the same. Doesn't mean they are specifically prepared for it.

    Furthermore, this isn't about mis guiding its about giving your personal experience or info you have. Just because you wrote a few posts and got a badge doesn't mean you're gonna start acting like a big man telling people what to do and giving out warnings.

    Oh and for your information this site isn't just for people applying to Pakistan and you don't have a job here mate. Just saying
  20. #19
    Med Studentz Regular cefspan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    131
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Osman123 View Post
    Dude if you're talking about proof then where is your proof that they prepare students for the tests?? many students go from these unis and get residencies but then again students from Chandka etc do the same. Doesn't mean they are specifically prepared for it.

    Furthermore, this isn't about mis guiding its about giving your personal experience or info you have. Just because you wrote a few posts and got a badge doesn't mean you're gonna start acting like a big man telling people what to do and giving out warnings.

    Oh and for your information this site isn't just for people applying to Pakistan and you don't have a job here mate. Just saying
    You already have quite an opinion. In which year are you? Last time I checked a guy from chandka secured residency in neuro surgery in John Hopkins back in 2001 I presume. It was a personal act. Many of the government colleges give you a leverage. Leverage as in you won't have atrendnace issues and at the end of the year you can appear for prof and pass with with a 90 day prep and study for steps rest of the year.

    Sent from my H30-U10 using Tapatalk
  21. #20
    Super Moderator
    Member Since
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    132
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Osman123 View Post
    Dude if you're talking about proof then where is your proof that they prepare students for the tests?? many students go from these unis and get residencies but then again students from Chandka etc do the same. Doesn't mean they are specifically prepared for it.

    Furthermore, this isn't about mis guiding its about giving your personal experience or info you have. Just because you wrote a few posts and got a badge doesn't mean you're gonna start acting like a big man telling people what to do and giving out warnings.

    Oh and for your information this site isn't just for people applying to Pakistan and you don't have a job here mate. Just saying
    Ive said it before I'm not trying to act like a leader here, there is no need of that. And if my moderating hasn't been up to your standards then I apologise for that. Look I gave my personal view or what I think about it, now you can agree with it or disagree with it, I don't care. But I think we should stop arguing about it. You stand by your view and I with mine and arguing like this will get us no where and it will only heat up the conversation.

    If I offended you in anyway I apologise. Hopefully we're still cool and if you're still applying to DIMC I guess ill see you there if I decide on applying.
    Feel free to message me if you want to talk about DIMC, SAT 2 ect
    Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

      Similar Threads

      1. Frontier Medical College Aptitude Test Preparations
        By MuhammadAmmar in forum Pakistan Medical Schools
        Replies: 2
        Last Post: October 16th, 2015, 10:31 AM
      2. USMLE For Schedule 1 Medical Colleges/Universities
        By devilkiller11 in forum Pakistan Medical Schools
        Replies: 2
        Last Post: November 24th, 2014, 06:58 PM
      3. USMLE For 2015 Graduates (For Pakistani Medical Student)
        By Natasha Niaz in forum Board Exams (USMLE/PLAB)
        Replies: 1
        Last Post: April 11th, 2014, 10:51 PM
      4. Medical book for UK and US system (USMLE, MRCP,MRCS, PLAB ....)
        By medicalbook in forum Chinese Medical Schools
        Replies: 2
        Last Post: December 4th, 2011, 09:07 AM
      5. entry test preparations
        By missakhwand in forum Pakistan Medical Schools
        Replies: 16
        Last Post: August 25th, 2008, 12:30 AM