Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 74
- January 4th, 2007, 07:12 AM #1
- Member Since
- Sep 2006
- 1 times
What should I bring to Pakistan for Medical School?
well...i'm movin to pakistan in a few days, inshAllah. so i just wanted to kno what u all think students movin from here usually forget to bring. or what i think won't really be used there but will end up needing alot. idk...nething ranging from stuff like cellphones and laptops to handbags and shoes. esp. since i'll be living in a hostel and who knows how much space i'll have for my stuff. i'm asking cuz i don't kno what ppl do in pakistan besides study, eat, or shop. i'm askin abt little things...like did u bring all your american clothes and then ended up throwin them away cuz the "style" over there is completely different or do u regret not bringing them? stuff like that. i really want a girl to comment but guys are welcome alsoJanuary 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM #2
You can basically find anything you need here. Everything is available. You can bring your laptop or computer but you won't use it much in the hostel, unless to watch movies or something.
You can bring all your 'american' clothes too, but you'll stick out more when you go out.
Stuff like electronics, toiletries, and even most of your favorite junk food items can be found at many different stores. The only thing they don't have is cutips.
You should bring your warm clothes, and things like belts and shoes, because the quality is different here. I've had a pair of sketchers that have lasted me over two years here. Perfect for the ruggedness.
Overall though, you can generally find anything you need here... except maybe a George Foreman grill.January 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM #3
hey rzz123 , are u coming to CMH , or some other med college in Pakistan?T. AwanJanuary 4th, 2007, 08:06 PM #4
1. You can find cuetips here no problem.
2. Bring your laptop to watch movies for sure.
3. Dont bring a cell phone from USA unless its unlocked and GSM otherwise you can buy one in pakistan no problem.
4. If you plan on visiting often, ie like every year then bring enough to last you a year. Bring some tennis shoes for sports, bring a pair or regular casual shoes for when your not at school, and maybe a dress pair for nice functions and then a black nice lookin pair for school.
5. Clothes, COTTON EVERYTHING!!! 100%. Comfortable and loose, nothing black for summer wear. It doesnt get too cold in winter so dont bring a heavy coat, but bring a jacket.
6. If you wear contacts, bring them cuz its hard to find your kind here. Otherwise you can find all your eye needs here.
7. Dont bring any books with you.
8. Since you will be new when arriving for school and even though you can find everything here, you wont know exactly where to find what at first so I suggest you bring enough of your personal thingies to last at least 3 months, ie toothpaste, medicines, lens solutions.
9. Oh ya, the socks and underwears here SUCK BAD so bring plenty of those. (specially hear those from girls in pakistan cuz when u go to usa and u ask wat to bring back they always say lingerie of some kind!)
10. Bring some american notebooks, College ruled 5 star or whatever if your used to them cuz in pakistan their paper sucks, they have plenty of pens here though.
11. If you can find some white doctor jackets from a medical supply store there, bring those as their higher quality otherwise you can wear the cheap paki ones they have here. You wont need a stethoscope here until 3rd year really and they have those here anyway.
12. So living in hostel, maybe bring a pillow with you if you have one your used to in usa as I never found a good Paki pillow.
13. Bring a heavy duty bookbag, the ones here suck.
These were general pointers. Hope they helped. But ya for girls best to be hecka conservative.Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game.January 4th, 2007, 10:32 PM #5
- Member Since
- Nov 2006
- 1 times
do they have eggo wafflesJanuary 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM #6January 5th, 2007, 01:01 AM #7
you guys don't use labtops to take notes, etc. or are they just used for movies?January 5th, 2007, 01:39 AM #8
No we don't use laptops in the classroom but we do use them at home to go over lectures, make presentations, etc.
Get a USB flash drive so that you can stick it into the classroom computer and copy over all the notes from lectures and then review them at home. Helps a ton when it comes closer to exam time.January 5th, 2007, 05:18 AM #9
- Member Since
- Sep 2006
- 1 times
tauhid...i'm not a hundred percent sure. I originally applied to CMH...n they said they'd have an overseas pakistani seat for me, but now they're sayin i'm gonna be enrolled in fatima memorial on a foreign seat, which is much more expensive. soo, right now i'm just tryin to convince them to gimme the overseas paki seat instead of the foreign seat...i dun care which college. either way, i'm def. going. i'll let u kno what happens tho. thanks!January 5th, 2007, 10:48 AM #10
You would look funny as hell with a laptop inside a paki classroom if your not a teacher! Just make sure you get it on lock down wherever you keep it, thievery is a major cause for concern in Pak!Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game.April 11th, 2007, 06:05 AM #11
What should I bring for Pakistan Medical School?
i just had a question about what do i need to take to pakistan from america, if i am trying to get into med school over there, can someone please tell me everything that i need
ThanksApril 11th, 2007, 07:38 AM #12
Personal items hard to find should be brought, undergarments and socks enough to last you a year depending on when you will go back to visit. If you like american type notebooks to write in bring a few five star ones there otherwise you'll be stuck using paki paper which is plenty weird. Dont bring pens or highlighters have plenty of that here cheaply. Dont bring any books as you can find most of them here. If you plan on coming ahead of time and have free time to shop you can avoid bringing most things but if your coming last minute and wont have time to shop around then you can bring bed sheets, pillow.
Bring some dress shoes, walking shoes and regular hanging out shoes. Shoes in Pakistan are notorious for being low quality and expensive for average ones.
Dont bring a cell phone they might not work here and they are easily available anyway.
If you dont have any relatives where your going to be then I suggest when you arrive you open a bank account and a safe deposit box to store your things in etc and dont keep cash with you in the hostels.
Bring a good padlock as well to lock your door with, pakis use chinese padlocks which are broken easily.
Thats just a start considering if you were going to live in the hostels. If your going to live at a house with some relatives then you will have people around to help you and you wont need much of anything except your own clothes.Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game.April 17th, 2007, 01:22 AM #13
Besides everyday things, what documents do I need to bring? I think I have a good idea of what to bring like Sealed Transcripts, High School Diploma. Anything else?April 17th, 2007, 02:16 AM #14
^^ There was a reallllyyy helpful post about the documents by maik7upurz or whatever! I dont know which thread though...April 20th, 2007, 07:06 PM #15
lol you think that post was good not at all.... that idiot didn't even understand what the other person was talking aboutApril 21st, 2007, 01:41 AM #16
dude what the hell is ur problem???? u're making realllyy rude comments incase u havent noticed!!!!!November 8th, 2007, 10:12 AM #17
- Member Since
- Oct 2007
- 1 times
can we use tape recorders to record lectures and what kind of electronics we could keep in gov't hostels...can we keep refrigerator? Do students come to your room and take your stuff without asking you and do foreigners share room and if do can you choose your own roommate?November 8th, 2007, 11:40 AM #18
A couple of your questions are off topic, so I'll go ahead and answer the ones relevant to this thread.
You can keep anything in your room in the hostel, and if you lock it when you leave, then no, no one can take your things. If you want to put a mini-fridge in your hostel room, you won't be the first one. There's no need to bring it all the way from NY though, if that's what you're wondering. You can get all the same appliances and that sort of thing in Pakistan.
Bringing a tape recorder is pointless for a couple of reasons. They're not strong enough to actually pick up the voice of the professor most of the time, and most of the time the lecture is just going to be a memorized dictation of exactly what you'll find in your books. On the rare occasion that a teacher mentions something that isn't common knowledge, then just go ahead and jot it down.November 8th, 2007, 09:35 PM #19
i havent had eggo waffles in a long time.......in a long time..............and cocoa puffs........man..................for some reason people in america tend to send alot of pencils and pens to their relatives in pak.......i never realy understtood why?November 9th, 2007, 11:30 AM #20
People living in Lahore, there is a store in Liberty Market called Al-Fatah. That place is a life saver for me. Eggo Waffles, Frosted Flakes, Apple Jacks, Gatorade, Yohoo, Prego and Ragu sauce! Its like your local Shoprite (Pathmark, Super Fresh, Acme). Only thing i have yet to find are good bagels. #sad
The only thing you should bring back is clothes and under wear really. Those are extremely important. Hard to find a pair of boxers in Lahore! #eek
I tend to bring back candy as well. Like snickers, twix, reccees, and kitkat bars. All though you can get them here, but they have a weird taste to them.
Good pair of shoes is must.
Those that are living in the hostel, bring your own coffee maker, a small one, the ones here are horrible. Make sure it is 240-250volt compatible.
Those that are living at home with house servants, its a bit unnecessary, but i brought back a pair of short range walkie talkies. Comes in really helpful when sending house servants to the store and for other things. I live by myself so i m constantly sending them to the store and markets.
LOL! Again its a bit unnecessary but i found it useful at times. (i rec. the one with the 10 mile radius. gets great signal)
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
- By geek in forum Pakistan Medical SchoolsReplies: 1Last Post: September 8th, 2011, 11:58 PM
- By cooldude89 in forum Pakistan Medical SchoolsReplies: 33Last Post: July 23rd, 2011, 07:24 AM
- By Nimi1512 in forum Pakistan Medical SchoolsReplies: 1Last Post: February 13th, 2010, 02:56 AM
- By cooldude89 in forum Pakistan Medical SchoolsReplies: 20Last Post: December 7th, 2007, 10:36 PM
- By cooldude89 in forum Pakistan Medical SchoolsReplies: 1Last Post: June 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM