Detailed Information On IBCC Equivalence Certificate Grade Conversion
Our Sponsors
Welcome to Med Studentz Medical Forums, a friendly and informative student community where you can join thousands of other medical students from all over the world discussing everything related to medical school admissions, studying for medical licensing exams, and the medical profession in general.

As a registered member you will be able to:

  • Post and participate in discussions throughout the board.
  • Communicate with other medical students around the world.
  • Find the latest valuable information regarding how to obtain research and clinical electives, internships and residencies.
  • Access special Members Only features not available to unregistered users.
All this and much more is available to you
absolutely free when you register for an account.
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Detailed Information On IBCC Equivalence Certificate Grade Conversion

  1. #1
    Med Studentz Beginner waleed94's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26
    Liked
    6 times

    ExclamationDetailed Information On IBCC Equivalence Certificate Grade Conversion

    Before reading NOTE:- If you are studying in Pakistan and doing O'Levels you need to have 8 subjects must and out of which Pakistan studies, Islamic studies and Urdu subjects are a must.
    (If you are doing IGCSE/O'levels Abroad (Outside pakistan) then you only need 5 subjects and no need to take Pakistan studies, Islamic studies and Urdu)


    Okay after a long time i figured out how to convert the grades.
    I will show you my results of my IGCSE and convert it now so you get the idea how to convert it.

    I got the following in IGCSE. 1 A , 5B's and 1 C ( Not good though)
    (According to IBCC, A* = 90, A = 85, B=75 and C=65)
    !! Okay so since the matric in Pakistan is out of 900, we would convert all the scores to 900. and the A level to 200. !!

    I gave total 7 subjects so my raw marks will be 700.

    ( The total raw marks will be the number of subjects you take multiplied by 100, For example if a person took 5 subjects 5*100 = 500 will be the raw marks, likewise if 8 subjects were taken then 8*100 = 800 will be the raw marks. In my case 7 subjects so i will use 700 as the raw marks.(

    Lets convert now. 1A , 5B's and 1C will be = 85+(75*5)+65 = 525.
    So my score is 525/700.

    To convert this to percentage we simply multiply the fraction by 100. So, (525/700)*100 = 75%
    So here my percentage is 75%. ( Note IBCC deducts 2% marks so the actual percentage will drop to 73.5%)

    IBCC converts this to 900. To do that multiply the fraction by 900 to get scores according to 900.

    This is, (525/700)*900 which is equal to = 675/900
    (The percentage remains same, 675/900 * 100 = 75 %) ( Note IBCC deducts 2% marks so the actual percentage will drop to 73.5%)



    Now comes the A level marks.

    For example the A level grades were 3 A* ( A* = 90 )
    So the raw mark will be of 300.

    Lets calculate the marks and percentage.
    90+90+90 = 270
    So our marks are 270/300. The percentage will be 270/300 * 100 = 90% ( Note IBCC deducts 2% marks so the actual percentage will drop to 88.2%)

    Now the IBCC raw mark used is 200 in A levels , but our marks are in 300. SO we need to convert our marks to 200.

    Let's do that:- (270/300)*200 = 180
    So our marks out of 200 will be = 180/200
    (The percentage remains same, 180/200 * 100 = 90%) ( Note IBCC deducts 2% marks so the actual percentage will drop to 88.2%)

    These were the individual score calculations for each (Matric (IGCSE/O'LEVELS) and Intermediate (A'LEVELS) )

    Now from these two we can calculate the IBCC Equivalence scores (That is IGCSE/O levels AND A levels COMBINED)
    We just add up the scores now.

    Our IGCSE/O'LEVEL scores were = 675/900
    Our A'LEVEL scores were = 180/200

    So therefore:- (675/900) + (180/200) = 855/1100 ( Percentage = 855/1100 * 100 = 77.7 % = 78%)
    ( Note IBCC deducts 2% so from each percentage will be 4% deduction. so the actual percentage will drop to 74.88% )

    This score will be the total score in the Equivalence certificate. 855/1100


    I hope this was a really big help for people in this forum searching for proper answers.
    I request admins to sticky my post so in future people do not repeat the same question.


    Best Regards, Waleed.
    armourlessknight and faiza_33 like this.
  2. #2
    Med Studentz Beginner waleed94's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed94 View Post
    Before reading NOTE:- If you are studying in Pakistan and doing O'Levels you need to have 8 subjects must and out of which Pakistan studies, Islamic studies and Urdu subjects are a must.
    (If you are doing IGCSE/O'levels Abroad (Outside pakistan) then you only need 5 subjects and no need to take Pakistan studies, Islamic studies and Urdu)


    Okay after a long time i figured out how to convert the grades.
    I will show you my results of my IGCSE and convert it now so you get the idea how to convert it.

    I got the following in IGCSE. 1 A , 5B's and 1 C ( Not good though)
    (According to IBCC, A* = 90, A = 85, B=75 and C=65)
    !! Okay so since the matric in Pakistan is out of 900, we would convert all the scores to 900. and the A level to 200. !!

    I gave total 7 subjects so my raw marks will be 700.

    ( The total raw marks will be the number of subjects you take multiplied by 100, For example if a person took 5 subjects 5*100 = 500 will be the raw marks, likewise if 8 subjects were taken then 8*100 = 800 will be the raw marks. In my case 7 subjects so i will use 700 as the raw marks.(

    Lets convert now. 1A , 5B's and 1C will be = 85+(75*5)+65 = 525.
    So my score is 525/700.

    To convert this to percentage we simply multiply the fraction by 100. So, (525/700)*100 = 75%
    So here my percentage is 75%. ( Note IBCC deducts 2% marks so the actual percentage will drop to 73.5%)

    IBCC converts this to 900. To do that multiply the fraction by 900 to get scores according to 900.

    This is, (525/700)*900 which is equal to = 675/900
    (The percentage remains same, 675/900 * 100 = 75 %) ( Note IBCC deducts 2% marks so the actual percentage will drop to 73.5%)



    Now comes the A level marks.

    For example the A level grades were 3 A* ( A* = 90 )
    So the raw mark will be of 300.

    Lets calculate the marks and percentage.
    90+90+90 = 270
    So our marks are 270/300. The percentage will be 270/300 * 100 = 90% ( Note IBCC deducts 2% marks so the actual percentage will drop to 88.2%)

    Now the IBCC raw mark used is 200 in A levels , but our marks are in 300. SO we need to convert our marks to 200.

    Let's do that:- (270/300)*200 = 180
    So our marks out of 200 will be = 180/200
    (The percentage remains same, 180/200 * 100 = 90%) ( Note IBCC deducts 2% marks so the actual percentage will drop to 88.2%)

    These were the individual score calculations for each (Matric (IGCSE/O'LEVELS) and Intermediate (A'LEVELS) )

    Now from these two we can calculate the IBCC Equivalence scores (That is IGCSE/O levels AND A levels COMBINED)
    We just add up the scores now.

    Our IGCSE/O'LEVEL scores were = 675/900
    Our A'LEVEL scores were = 180/200

    So therefore:- (675/900) + (180/200) = 855/1100 ( Percentage = 855/1100 * 100 = 77.7 % = 78%)
    ( Note IBCC deducts 2% so from each percentage will be 4% deduction. so the actual percentage will drop to 74.88% )

    This score will be the total score in the Equivalence certificate. 855/1100


    I hope this was a really big help for people in this forum searching for proper answers.
    I request admins to sticky my post so in future people do not repeat the same question.


    Best Regards, Waleed.
    ---------------EDIT----------------

    I got my IGCSE equivalence. The certificate says the subjects are five main subjects.

    BUT they included all my 7 subjects marks.

    This means, the more subjects you have in IGCSE , more the advantage for you!

    Good luck.
  3. #3
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    May 2015
    Posts
    1
    Liked
    0 times
    I want to know my equivalent marks for A level. My grades in O levels are: 4Bs,1A,2Cs,1D. A levels: 2Ds, 1C
  4. Remove Advertisements
    MedStudentz.com
    Advertisements

  5. #4
    Med Studentz Newbie Iqra143's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    21
    Liked
    1 times
    I studied in Indian Board cbse from kuwait
    Any idea how this conversion can be done?
  6. #5
    Med Studentz Beginner
    Member Since
    May 2015
    Location
    Riyadh
    Posts
    90
    Liked
    4 times
    Do we have to make alevel n olevel equivalence combined or separately? ??
  7. #6
    Med Studentz Beginner
    Member Since
    May 2015
    Location
    Riyadh
    Posts
    90
    Liked
    4 times
    I made my equivalence for o levels last year so will i have to make my alevel n olevel equivalence combined nw???!plz ans soon.
    Last edited by aaa123; June 13th, 2015 at 09:13 AM.
    armourlessknight likes this.
  8. #7
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wherever Opportunity Lies
    Posts
    14
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi aaa123,

    When you submit the application form for IBCC Equivalence, tick one of the options provided in the HSSC. IBCC will then ask for your documents, both O & A Level Certificates, and process it. You need not submit 2 separate applications for your O & A Levels.

    Tick either the Pre-Medical or Humanities option for the HSSC options.

    Pre-Medical if your subjects are Chem, Bio & Physics.
    Humanities if your subjects are Chem, Bio & Maths.

    By the way, do tell then that you have an Equivalence for your O'Levels. It may hasten the process.
  9. #8
    Med Studentz Beginner
    Member Since
    May 2015
    Location
    Riyadh
    Posts
    90
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloop View Post
    Hi aaa123,

    When you submit the application form for IBCC Equivalence, tick one of the options provided in the HSSC. IBCC will then ask for your documents, both O & A Level Certificates, and process it. You need not submit 2 separate applications for your O & A Levels.

    Tick either the Pre-Medical or Humanities option for the HSSC options.

    Pre-Medical if your subjects are Chem, Bio & Physics.
    Humanities if your subjects are Chem, Bio & Maths.

    By the way, do tell then that you have an Equivalence for your O'Levels. It may hasten the process.

    Thanks. .but my grades in alevel is nt tht gud but o level grades are gud so combined results may help me out to get 60 percent on equivalence? ???
  10. #9
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wherever Opportunity Lies
    Posts
    14
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aaa123 View Post
    Thanks. .but my grades in alevel is nt tht gud but o level grades are gud so combined results may help me out to get 60 percent on equivalence? ???
    Don't know about that.... Sorry

    We'll only know once IBCC provides you with the Equivalence Certificate...

    Oh, if the IBCC Equivalence percentage is less than 60%, check out DIMC (Karachi, Pakistan)... It does not require an Equivalence if you have SAT 2 or MCAT scores. No harm in keeping a back up option

    Wish you all the best....
  11. #10
    Med Studentz Beginner waleed94's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26
    Liked
    6 times
    --------EDIT---------- I was wrong in some of the points. I have corrected them. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by waleed94 View Post
    Before reading NOTE:- If you are studying in Pakistan and doing O'Levels you need to have 8 subjects must and out of which Pakistan studies, Islamic studies and Urdu subjects are a must.
    (If you are doing IGCSE/O'levels Abroad (Outside pakistan) then you only need 5 subjects and no need to take Pakistan studies, Islamic studies and Urdu)


    Okay after a long time i figured out how to convert the grades.
    I will show you my results of my IGCSE and convert it now so you get the idea how to convert it.

    I got the following in IGCSE. 1 A , 5B's and 1 C ( Not good though)
    (According to IBCC, A* = 90, A = 85, B=75 and C=65)
    !! Okay so since the matric in Pakistan is out of 900, we would convert all the scores to 900. and the A level to 200. !!

    Including the 5 main subjects we get 500 total marks.

    ( The total raw marks will be the number of subjects (That is 5 main ones) multiplied by 100, For example 5 subjects => 5*100 = 500 will be the raw marks.)

    Lets convert my grades. (1A English, Phy,Math,Bio B and chemistry C = 85+75+75+75+65 = 375
    So my score is 375/500.

    To convert this to percentage we simply multiply the fraction by 100. So, (375/500)*100 = 75%
    So here my percentage is 75%.

    IBCC converts this to 900. To do that multiply the fraction by 900 to get scores according to 900.

    This is, (375/500*900) which is equal to = 675/900
    (The percentage remains same, 675/900 * 100 = 75 %).



    Now comes the A level marks.

    For example the A level grades were 3 A ( A = 85 )
    So the raw mark will be of 300.

    Lets calculate the marks and percentage.
    85+85+85 = 255
    So our marks are 255/300. The percentage will be 255/300 * 100 = 80%

    Now the IBCC raw mark used is 200 in A levels , but our marks are in 300. SO we need to convert our marks to 200.

    Let's do that:- (255/300)*200 = 170
    So our marks out of 200 will be = 170/200
    (The percentage remains same, 170/200 * 100 = 90%)

    These were the individual score calculations for each (Matric (IGCSE/O'LEVELS) and Intermediate (A'LEVELS) )

    Now from these two we can calculate the IBCC Equivalence scores (That is IGCSE/O levels AND A levels COMBINED)
    We just add up the scores now.

    Our IGCSE/O'LEVEL scores were = 675/900
    Our A'LEVEL scores were = 170/200

    So therefore:- (675/900) + (170/200) = 845/1100 ( Percentage = 845/1100 * 100 = 76.81 % = 77%)


    This score will be the total score in the Equivalence certificate. 845/1100


    I hope this was a really big help for people in this forum searching for proper answers.
    I request admins to sticky my post so in future people do not repeat the same question.


    Best Regards, Waleed.
    DR.CURIOUS likes this.
  12. #11
    Med Studentz Beginner
    Member Since
    May 2015
    Location
    Riyadh
    Posts
    90
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed94 View Post
    --------EDIT---------- I was wrong in some of the points. I have corrected them. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by waleed94 View Post
    Before reading NOTE:- If you are studying in Pakistan and doing O'Levels you need to have 8 subjects must and out of which Pakistan studies, Islamic studies and Urdu subjects are a must.
    (If you are doing IGCSE/O'levels Abroad (Outside pakistan) then you only need 5 subjects and no need to take Pakistan studies, Islamic studies and Urdu)


    Okay after a long time i figured out how to convert the grades.
    I will show you my results of my IGCSE and convert it now so you get the idea how to convert it.

    I got the following in IGCSE. 1 A , 5B's and 1 C ( Not good though)
    (According to IBCC, A* = 90, A = 85, B=75 and C=65)
    !! Okay so since the matric in Pakistan is out of 900, we would convert all the scores to 900. and the A level to 200. !!

    Including the 5 main subjects we get 500 total marks.

    ( The total raw marks will be the number of subjects (That is 5 main ones) multiplied by 100, For example 5 subjects => 5*100 = 500 will be the raw marks.)

    Lets convert my grades. (1A English, Phy,Math,Bio B and chemistry C = 85+75+75+75+65 = 375
    So my score is 375/500.

    To convert this to percentage we simply multiply the fraction by 100. So, (375/500)*100 = 75%
    So here my percentage is 75%.

    IBCC converts this to 900. To do that multiply the fraction by 900 to get scores according to 900.

    This is, (375/500*900) which is equal to = 675/900
    (The percentage remains same, 675/900 * 100 = 75 %).



    Now comes the A level marks.

    For example the A level grades were 3 A ( A = 85 )
    So the raw mark will be of 300.

    Lets calculate the marks and percentage.
    85+85+85 = 255
    So our marks are 255/300. The percentage will be 255/300 * 100 = 80%

    Now the IBCC raw mark used is 200 in A levels , but our marks are in 300. SO we need to convert our marks to 200.

    Let's do that:- (255/300)*200 = 170
    So our marks out of 200 will be = 170/200
    (The percentage remains same, 170/200 * 100 = 90%)

    These were the individual score calculations for each (Matric (IGCSE/O'LEVELS) and Intermediate (A'LEVELS) )

    Now from these two we can calculate the IBCC Equivalence scores (That is IGCSE/O levels AND A levels COMBINED)
    We just add up the scores now.

    Our IGCSE/O'LEVEL scores were = 675/900
    Our A'LEVEL scores were = 170/200

    So therefore:- (675/900) + (170/200) = 845/1100 ( Percentage = 845/1100 * 100 = 76.81 % = 77%)


    This score will be the total score in the Equivalence certificate. 845/1100


    I hope this was a really big help for people in this forum searching for proper answers.
    I request admins to sticky my post so in future people do not repeat the same question.


    Best Regards, Waleed.





    Plz tell me that there will be separate certificates for alevel n olevel or it will be combined in 1 certificate. ..so in medical college for mbbs in pak they see our overall percentage of olevel plus alevels. ...or see them separately. We should have 60 percentage overall in our IBCC equivalence
    Or have to have 60 percentage on each of them...plz help me out.plzzz
  13. #12
    Med Studentz Regular rosequartz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    172
    Liked
    101 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aaa123 View Post
    Plz tell me that there will be separate certificates for alevel n olevel or it will be combined in 1 certificate. ..so in medical college for mbbs in pak they see our overall percentage of olevel plus alevels. ...or see them separately. We should have 60 percentage overall in our IBCC equivalence
    Or have to have 60 percentage on each of them...plz help me out.plzzz
    For A-level equivalency, you need to submit both your O-level and A-level certificates as FSc equivalence is made by adding your O and A level subjects results. So submit both certificates and tick the A-level (Pre-med) equivalency on the front page of the form. Also, pay urgent fee as you will get your equivalence within 10 days. Hope everything turned out well for you.
  14. #13
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    11
    Liked
    0 times

    Confused

    Quote Originally Posted by waleed94 View Post
    ---------------EDIT----------------

    I got my IGCSE equivalence. The certificate says the subjects are five main subjects.

    BUT they included all my 7 subjects marks.

    This means, the more subjects you have in IGCSE , more the advantage for you!

    Good luck.
    How is it an advantage? wouldnt it be better you have less subjects?
  15. #14
    Med Studentz Regular
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    212
    Liked
    68 times
    for foreign the consider the 5 main subjects but in pakistan the consider the whole
    Last edited by shane warney; January 29th, 2016 at 10:32 AM.
  16. #15
    Med Studentz Beginner
    Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    30
    Liked
    4 times
    Can we use the same method to calculate the IBCC equivalence for American student?
  17. #16
    Med Studentz Regular escalations's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    176
    Liked
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kainath View Post
    Can we use the same method to calculate the IBCC equivalence for American student?
    I am not in an American school but going by the IBCC worksheet, here is what I understand (don't confuse this with expert opinion).

    For American student. If you have A,B or C grades first convert them to numbers like A=85 or 80 or whatever appropriate as per this worksheet:



    Check around page 5 and 6 as different High Schools in US use different grading like some have A+ and B+ and A-, B-, some don't and just go by A, B, C. So use appropriate table from the doc that applies to you. I know it is confusing and in the end you will not like the percentage you end up with.

    Only count your grades for English, Bio, Chem, Phy/Maths and one other subject for Grade 11 and 12. So a total of 5 subjects, so that will be out of 1000.
    Convert that out of 1000 score to out of 1100 (if you can't figure it out, should have taken Maths instead of Physics ). This will be your FSc equivalent.
  18. #17
    Med Studentz Beginner
    Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    30
    Liked
    4 times
    Thank you .
  19. #18
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iqra143 View Post
    I studied in Indian Board cbse from kuwait
    Any idea how this conversion can be done?
    for indian board--- class 12-- if u have above 90% in cbse HSSC-- the max equivalent u get is 934/1100
    for class 10-- is u have straight As--- they give u 747/900


    hope that helps
    Do get all yr class 10 n 12 documents attested from indian embassy in kuwait before coming to Pakistan
  20. #19
    Med Studentz Newbie
    Member Since
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    15
    Liked
    0 times
    Can you please tell me how much %age is deducted from Canadian high school diploma from the province of Alberta?
    Last edited by Gullala; March 24th, 2016 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Wrong word
  21. #20
    Med Studentz Regular escalations's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    176
    Liked
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullala View Post
    Can you please tell me how much %age is deducted from Canadian high school diploma from the province of Alberta?
    To the best of my knowledge 15% so if you have 90%, you will be at 75%. I have seen eq reports from different Canadian provinces but none from Alberta. Unless Alberta uses letter grades, or 13 year schooling it will be the same.
    This is only counting Bio, chem, English, Phy/Maths and one other subject for a total of 5 subjects in Grade 11 and 12. Add all the %'s of 5 subjects from 2 years, add them up and then convert them from 1000 to 1100. This will be your equivalence.

    I had heard from somewhere that there was a movement to change that 15% number as it is too harsh but not sure if a change is in order, I wouldn't hope so. There is not much sympathy for students from North America.
    Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

      Similar Threads

      1. Replies: 0
        Last Post: April 26th, 2014, 03:03 AM
      2. What Does IBCC Actually Need to Issue Equivalence Certificate????
        By FCBfan in forum Pakistan Medical Schools
        Replies: 6
        Last Post: July 13th, 2013, 12:44 AM
      3. IBCC Equivalence New Conversion Formula?
        By energetic in forum Pakistan Medical Schools
        Replies: 4
        Last Post: December 26th, 2012, 01:20 PM
      4. Question About the IBCC Equivalence Certificate
        By paddu in forum Pakistan Medical Schools
        Replies: 11
        Last Post: October 9th, 2012, 07:23 PM
      5. equivalence certificate
        By nidakram in forum Pakistan Medical Schools
        Replies: 8
        Last Post: January 9th, 2010, 11:43 PM

      Tags for this Thread