Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
- July 16th, 2014, 06:25 PM #1
Getting Into Medical School In The United States
Any premedical student who wants to enter medical school should understand the medical school admissions process.
First, read about the medical schools that interest you. You can check their website or email them and clarify any issues you have.
Second, note the difference in importance placed on academic aspects like the GPA or MCAT results or non-academic aspects like letters of reference, autobiographical materials or interviews.
Third, be aware of the regional considerations. Consider getting the AAMC's Medical School Admissions Requirements or MSAR.
Fourth, prepare, study and attain your goals. Good luck!July 19th, 2014, 02:04 AM #2
Just a few questions:
- Is a free MSAR copy available some place?
- Suppose a student complete's the 90 credit requirement to apply to med school in 2016, which MCAT would they have to sit i.e. 2014 or 2015?
- Do all US medical schools accept international students openly?
- Does the overall GPA matter or subject GPAs matter too?
Thank you.July 24th, 2014, 06:08 AM #3
1. You can get an online copy of the MSAR from the AAMC website.
2. If you are going to apply to medical school in 2016, take the current MCAT (2014 until January 2015)
3. I think that it is best to ask the medical school you are interested in applying to.
4. While a high GPA is attractive for medical school admissions, it is best to check the requirements of the medical school you are interested in applying to.July 29th, 2014, 10:14 PM #4
Thanks for your reply.
- I will order one today.
- I think I will have to take the new MCAT because I will be starting college this fall and I hope to fulfill the medical school pre-req by the end of sophomore year. If I can do that, I will take the MCAT in the summer of sophomore year.
- I found statistics on US medical schools accepting international students (check out. <-- depressing really). I had also emailed other medical schools and one said that they do not have policies that exclude international students from applying as long as pre-req from US/Canadian schools are fulfilled and they prefer residents of their respective states. They also said they required a stellar application to be even considered. This confuses me.
- I have started working on that as I now have a list of medical schools to start with.
Last edited by rosequartz; July 29th, 2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Corrected broken link.July 30th, 2014, 05:39 PM #5July 31st, 2014, 04:01 AM #6
That link is a great resource. Thank you so much! :-)
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
- By zee10000 in forum Pakistan Medical SchoolsReplies: 2Last Post: December 6th, 2012, 02:57 AM
- By sunny_boy in forum Medical Students AreaReplies: 2Last Post: August 4th, 2012, 05:11 AM
- By Wasanbaloch in forum Dental DiscussionsReplies: 15Last Post: June 10th, 2012, 09:53 AM
- By safahad93 in forum Med Studentz LoungeReplies: 1Last Post: August 19th, 2011, 02:37 PM
- By 123eun in forum Dental DiscussionsReplies: 4Last Post: May 10th, 2008, 02:50 PM